Brian's Excellent Krakow Adventure

Musings from Brian Desmond Issing as he lives the life of a Cracovian. (Someone who lives in Krakow, Poland.)

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Recap of July, 2006


Today is Sunday July 30th and it’s been 2 weeks since I returned to Poland and a lot is going on. Here are some miscellaneous ramblings from afar.

Had my first really big “Polish flat party” last Friday. The Polish version of a flat party is when someone offers up their apartment (flat) as a place to meet and everyone brings their own food and drink. Makes it kind of easy on the host. So that’s what I did when I invited my training class of 31 people and my training staff to my flat. Most of the class showed up so I had about 40 people there at one point. We had the music blasting and people dancing in the living room. It was a warm evening so the balcony was filled with people.. Then around 11:30 p.m. someone announced that we were walking over to the Market Square to go to a Salsa dance club so off we went. At 1:30 a.m. I left leaving a good number of people behind. All in all a fun time and one I would like to do again. (FYI … the apartment was not trashed. But I did have a lot of glasses to wash on Saturday.)

(The guy on the left is my friend Jim Montague. He wanted me to write that he was "dancing" and does not always look like this. Jim is from Hernando, Mississippi (via Memphis). Need I say more?)

My friend Ranae Owens of Franklin, Virginia was here on business for a week. The last time I saw her she had just started dating Heyward Owens and now she is married, has a cute 11 month old boy named Walker and a new job as an Inside Sales Rep at I.P. Needless to say we had a lot to catch up on. Her visit started out with a tour of the city provided by my friend Kinga Raczak. Kinga is a wealth of knowledge of Krakow and its history. We started at the Barbican made our way along the Royal Way, went through the Market Square and ended w/ a tour of the cathedral at Wawel Castle. A great 3 ½ hours that brought the city to life for the six of us. Since this was my third official tour of the city I am now qualified to lead them for others.

Went to the wedding of my friend Gabriella to a Canadian named Leon. It was held in the St. Stanislaw Cathedral on Wawel Hill and it was a beautiful ceremony officiated by the priest at my church. One of my co-workers, Renata, sang the Ave Maria. She is a trained singer and it was beautiful. The Mass was in both Polish and English which made it much more enjoyable. Gabriella sure was special to have had her wedding in the cathedral where the Polish Kings and Queens were crowned.

It's been very hot here. Two Saturdays ago it hit 95 degrees F. Now, for many of you that might not be as hot as where you live but for a place that does not have a lot of A/C is was very hot. It was so hot that some of the employees came to work early because their flats did not have A/C. And everyone was complaining about not getting any sleep. But the heat wave has passed and it will be in the 80s by mid-week.

And finally, Toni comes to town in August and you know I am looking forward to that.

That's all for now.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, it is good to hear about your "doings."

Best,

Jim

2:36 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, what does it take to get my name mentioned in your blog, I was on the tour, at salsa night, I even danced with you at the flat! ha ha ha .... good time!

Jim

10:52 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BDL,
New name for you from Creek Valley Deans Creek HA! Enjoyed your discription of the Flat deal. Those poor ole POlands would really go crazey if a few of us came over. Hey wante to let yoou know i KILLED THE WEEDS IN the cracks on the road. I was surprized they died but others came back. Oh course Jake did not weed eat them, So I did. I had to do mine also so it was one big weed eating. Nothing like a flat party. I want pictures of who you danced with???? Not of guy above JIM. Of course any local pics of the co. women would be interesting just to see how they compare with the Ukrainian women. Well just wanted to say hi and let you know we were thinking of you. Hey let me know what we need to do when Toni comes over for the house.
Send pics, Sandy ( across the street, you have been gone awhile thought I would refresh your memory.)

4:46 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
Your Blogs are very interesting. It sounds like it is a very nice place to visit. I am sure you are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work. I do have a comment about something you wrote about Jim Montague living in Olive Branch, MS (It is a great place to live, don't knock it till you try it" LOL

Cindy Henley-Neblett

7:36 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Of course any local pics of the co. women would be interesting just to see how they compare with the Ukrainian women."
Is it only my opinion or r those sorts of comments degrading for both - Polish and Ukrainian women. What is there to compare? Shape of noses? hair color? and why with the ukrainian women? because they r the only europeans u know? no one alse cleans the houses in the States?
How abt we publicly compare American women to sth? I just have no idea what to compare u all to.

9:42 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home